I’ve never been to a spa before, partially because it’s super overpriced and partially because I have sensitive skin and don’t trust the chemicals in spa products, but I LOVE having at home spa nights and using natural ingredients right from my fridge. I decided to share with you one of my favorite facial routines.
First thing’s first, start by wiping all your makeup off, use makeup remover and a gentle cleanser. We want to get right down to your skin, we don’t need anything in the way.
- Facial steam: Fill a bowl half way with hot water and add a couple drops of essential oil. My favorites are lavender and chamomile; don’t be afraid to use more than one essential oil. Here’s a great chart according to skin type. Lean over the bowl and place a towel over your head and shoulders, trapping the steam in for 10-15 minutes. Tip: When you’re coming down with a cold, give yourself a steam with a couple drops of eucalyptus oil and you’ll clear right up!
- Exfoliate: Sprinkle some raw sugar on to a cotton pad and squeeze a lemon wedge to soak. Gently rub the cotton pad in circular motions across your damp face and neck, this is like a mini micro peel and is very strong so be gentle. Rinse off with a damp facecloth.
- Mask: Honey is the best face ingredient you could imagine, it’s antibacterial, anti-inflammatory cleansing and super moisturizing. For your mask combine a spoonful of honey, a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil and an egg white in a bowl. Apply the mixture on your face and neck, avoiding your eye area and leave on for as long as you can bare the stickiness (I usually go for 20 minutes). Rinse off with a warm washcloth and pat dry. The olive oil nourishes and cleanses your skin while washing cleanly away and the egg white tightens and firms your skin making your pores look smaller.
- Tone: Brew a strong cup of green tea for 5 minutes and let cool to room temperature. Squeeze in a soft vitamin E capsule and mix. With a cotton pad, apply the toner all over your face and neck. The mixture is good for up to a week. Green tea is full of antioxidants that help fight free radicals, green tea also fights inflammation and soothes acne as well as lightening skin.
- Moisturize: On damp skin, spread a VERY light amount of extra virgin olive oil all over your face and neck. I must stress only using a very tiny bit of olive oil on your skin or else you’ll find yourself being a greasy mess.
Now you’ll feel refreshed and glow! Your face is going to feel amazingly soft and smooth! Make a night out of it, invite a couple girlfriends over light some candles and play some calming music. Stereomood has some great mood playlists. Be happy and enjoy!! 🙂